Thursday, November 20, 2008

the best parts~

today i have been humbled twice by my children...
let me start my story by backing up a few days to this past sunday. we were at church and the topic was how we (or the men in our lives) should take the time to really appreciate and love the women in their lives. that often times the women might feel under appreciated or over stretched with responsibilities with home, family, work, and other callings.
so one of the men giving a talk said something that i really enjoyed. so much that i wrote it down.
"the best part of motherhood comes in fleeting moments. frustrating times are abundant but take the moments that pass so quickly to mother your children and make those connections with them that they will remember." RO.
so now fast forward to today. i have been busy with taking and picking cullan up from mom school. for some reason i am really sleepy and have been silently grumping about how my children do not nap anymore. anyways i have been trying really hard to get my house clean and everything picked up and organized. i am sure some of you moms can relate with the fact that when you have little ones at home, it is a little frustrating as they follow you and seem to just want to undo the cleaning you have just completed.
so while cleaning i have also been doing laundry. this was where the first instance of humbling happened on my part.
  • i was taking a load of the boys clothes to the washing machine to start a load and i had asked the boys to please stay on the couch while i started the load. well half way through putting stuff in the washer i see kael poking his head around the corner. he started to make his way towards me and without really paying attention i kind of grumped at him that i had asked him to stay on the couch and that i wish he would have listened to me. as he turned around to head back to the couch with his little head down from getting in trouble i realized he was holding a sock of theirs that i had dropped. argg... i felt like the biggest jerk. i realized i needed to be more patient and realize that sometimes they are just trying to help. i later gave him a hug and said thank you for bringing me the sock.
  • the second time was in a similar vein. however this time it was cullan. again i had said to stay on the couch. however this time cullan came out. trying to be more patient after my last experience, i explained to him that i really wanted him to stay in the living room so i could just get this done. (my own personal downfall is that sometimes i just want to get things done and know that i can get done much faster if i just do it myself.) cullan started to head back to the living room and then turned around and said "but i help mommy". i realized that cullan really likes to help me put the clothes from the washer into the dryer. i think because the dryer is just the right height that he can really help all by himself. so i told him he could help me and afterwards he closed the dryer door, gave me a hug and said "thanks mommy" then ran off back to the living room.

i am slowly starting to realize that maybe i am moving to fast and missing the best part of my kids. the fact that they really want to help and that with all the frustrating moments that come in a day, there are also some very sweet ones too..

7 comments:

Hartson family said...

tear*... oh, do I know what you mean! today Carley pulled a dining room chair from the table to the sink while I started running dishwater. Although I was a little annoyed that I would again have to waste water while she "rinsed" and she'd be in my way while I put things on the counter, I was a bit humbled that she wanted to be with me, helping like a big girl. Sigh, being a mom takes too much patience and tolerance.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean too! I started a new job at the YMCA in the babysitting area and realized that I spend more time actually sitting and playing with my kids while I am at work than I would if I were at home. Sad but an eye opener!

Krista said...

you are all better than I am! I can learn from you. Thanks!

Lynda said...

Take time to slow down, you will be amazed how fast the time goes by. It seems like just yesterday my boys were the same age as yours, now Jeremy is 32! You know what I learned you can live with some clutter and mess but your really can't live w/o the messy hugs and kisses that those boys can give you. No Mom is perfect but as long as we try I think that is all that is important. As my kids got older I used to tell them, "I am not perfect, I am doing the best I can and sometimes I am going to make mistakes and some of them may be whoppers but throughout it all just remember that I love you and have your best interest at heart."

Rebecca said...

I think we all feel that way. I can always do things faster than my kids. But, letting them help is important. It's just hard to remember that in the moment.

Lisa said...

thanks for that post. It's so good to be reminded of this. I find myself doing the exact same thing.

Anonymous said...

wow...I know what you mean! We moved last weekend and Christina wanted me to play with her but we had a billion things to unpack and playing was the last thing on my mind. I kept telling her no and then I asked her if she wanted to help me dry the dishes I washed. She was so excited and stayed right beside me until every last drop of water was off the plastic cups. I realized she just wanted one of us to pay a little attention to her instead of the boxes. Meghan, you are an awesome mother! I never miss a chance to read your blog and find out what other wonderful things you are doing for and with your family!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com