Thursday, October 9, 2008

proposals~

so this one requires some help from anyone who reads my blog. sargento and i were talking about engagements the other night after watching a show where a guy did a not so great job at proposing. of course that sparked conversation of our own, at which we both now laugh about. every proposal is special, but some just go smoother than others. ours was not smooth at all. here is our story!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
sargento and i had been dating for almost a year. (we had been friends for about a year a a half before this) so things were just kind of going the same way dating and having fun, but i kind of asked him if he ever say this going anywhere farther than us dating. (i was kind of curious) plus other people were starting to ask us too. sargento had never really talked about marriage seriously, we might joke, but nothing really serious. so in november of 2003 we had been dating for 9 months seriously. so i just said i think we should kind of decide where this is going. if we are just going to date and be friends or are we going to get married sometime. he said he would think about it and let me know by Christmas. i was completely ok with that. i thought even if he did want to get married it would be awhile. so on december 13th he came over to my house. i was living alone because my roommate had moved out and on this day i was super sick. i had a head cold and was flipping through channels and ended up watching Brave Heart on TV. all of a sudden there was a knock on my door. to my surprise it was sargento. he said he had come in to town early because he had to work that day and thought he would stop by for a little while. so i was excited to see him and we just sat on the couch kind of chatting and watching brave heart. well it came to the part in the move where mel gibson and the girl get married secretly in the woods and i could tell that sargento was getting really fidgety. i thought "oh great, what is wrong with him, is he going to break up with me or something". so he kept fidgeting for a while and then started kind of talking about marriage. asking me sweet little questions about if i could love him forever and things like that. i of course said yes. he also started telling me all the reasons he loved me and why he enjoyed being with me. then i thought he must not be feeling well because he was looking pale and still super fidgety. all of a sudden he blurts out.."i think we should get married" he then said he was sure that life would go on without me, but that he would rather have me with him then not. a little confused i looked at him and said are you asking? he looked at me confused and said yes! so then i said oh ok well then YES!! right after that he looked at the clock realized he was late for work and ran out the door. i was shocked. this guy proposes and then runs out my door. so i run over to my window and yell down as he is getting into his car, "I think you should come back after work, we might want to talk about this a little" he agreed and came back around 9:15 that night. i guess part of me wanted to make sure that he still was serious! (just because he looked so nervous)
now we laugh about him jumping up and running out the door. he told me later that night that he had no intention of proposing that day. he said all of a sudden he just sort of did. so i had no ring or anything like that. just a funny story to tell about a nervous boy proposing and running away!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
so now i want to hear all of yours. they don't have to be as detailed if you don't want to share, but i love hearing how people got engaged. i know some of you read this but don't leave comments due to not having gmail, so you can email them to me if you want. i am excited to hear every ones stories!

6 comments:

Frisbies Forever said...

Mine is too long to leave in the comments but I will blog about it later. It is an amazing story. Yours is so sweet though! I love it. I love stories, people think love is what makes the world go round, but I suspect it may be stories. ; )

the freestone6 said...

I played along its on my blog. Thanks for shareing! So sweet.

Rebecca said...

Randy and I would joke that out of all the "fish in the sea" I already had a hook in my mouth waiting to tie myself to his line.

One Saturday (after he had bought a ring and then returned it! so as to not propose--which I knew about) we went to UNCG to see the campus where I had lived and then we went to Winston Salem to visit my old roommate and her family. She lives right by some beautiful gardens. After dinner we went back to the rose gardens at the Reynolda House in the sprinking rain. Randy said his contacts were hurting so he went to this outside bathroom thing to look into that. We walked around a little and he asked me which rose there was my favorite and then told me to wait where I was and he would bring it back for me. I stood there for what seemed like a really long time. He came back, rose in hand, acting somewhat funny. He wanted me to smell it and about stuck it in my nose. He seemed nervous. (I am shortening this) He then opened his fist which had been around the bottom of the rose, and a fishing line dropped down with my ring tied to the bottom. He then said something like "You are like a fish waiting for a line. Rebecca Ray, will you marry me for time and eternity?" At first I just looked around. He had returned my ring. I was very happy and ultra surprised! I said Yes!

Turns out his contacts weren't hurting him at all, he was tying the ring to the line in there!

Here we are, four kids and seven years later. And I still have that rose with the line attached!

Jeanie Doll said...

That is so dang cute! I can't believe I never heard it before now. :) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Mine is kind of blah! I was leaving for work from Jeff's in Waterloo to drive to Des Moines and he asked me what was wrong and I told him that I thought he was going to give me my ring this weekend since we picked it out and bought it that weekend. He got down on one knee in the kitchen in his pajamas and asked right then. Then I had to leave for DSM and he went back to bed.

Anonymous said...

it's on my blog now!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com