Thursday, October 4, 2007

Giving Blood =)

The other day a young man from our church called and said that for his eagle scout project he was having a blood drive. I thought oh that is great. I give blood on a regular basis when I am not prego or having major surgeries =) So not recently, however since neither applied right now I told him to sign me up. He asked about Garran and I told him that I was not sure but that I would talk to him. Well I guess he took that as a yes, because the next Sunday, Garran said that his name was on the sign up list. What is funny about this is that Garran absolutely hates needles. You would never guess a big strong guy like my hubby hating needles. HE REALLY HATES THEM. So the day finally roles around and Garran is dragging his feet about going but I told him that even if he decides not to he will have to drive me home. So we pack up the fam and head out.
When we get there Garran decides to do it. I knew that he would do the right thing. Anyways, he gets called back first. It just so happened that day they were especially looking for people that had our blood type to do a special test with. For some reason Garrans lady did not ask him if he would like to do it but mine did. So Garran was done with all of his questions much faster than I. He went over and was getting ready to get hooked up (The whole time I mention I can hear him telling the blood lady how much he hates this and that he is only here because of me)! Anyways so the final part of checking me, was checking my iron. You have to be at 12.5 to give. My right hand prick came back at 12.0 so we tried my left and it came back at 10.8. Guess who was not giving blood. Oops. So I stand up with a stack of papers about iron enriched foods that I need to start eating and Garran instantly knows. He gives me this disgusted look and starts shaking his head. He goes "You can't give blood can you" I just smiled and said "No Honey I can't, but I will hold your hand when it is time for the needle." He was grumpy. Saying the usual like you wanted to do this and can't but I still have to. But he was already on the table, no need to leave now. Well of course Garran has great blood. He filled up the bag in like 7 minutes. I told him that I bet he would be the record holder for the day. (He was not impressed) So as he goes to sit up all the color drains from his face. I said honey you do not look to good, would you like some juice or a cookie. Sure he would, so I went and got it. He comes and sits at the table for a few minutes while I go and get the kids from the nursery. By the time I had them packed up he had come and found me and said that he was ready to go home. I thought that it was pretty quick, but I thought well he knows how he feels. So we get in the car and get about 1/3 of the way home, when he starts kind of groaning and he is sweating. So I ask him if he would like me to pull the car over. He says yes. So I pull into a Doctors office and is on his hands and knees in the grass. I felt so bad for him but at the same time I was laughing. I know I am a horrible wife. I could not help it because he was still grumbling about giving blood. So he stayed out there for a little while. Took care of what he needed to do. Then came and got back in the car. He still had no color and I said I think that we better get you home so that you can get some rest. So we came home and Garran took a nap as well as Kael. Cullan and I ran to the store to get some stuff for lunch, I thought a little something to eat may help Garrans situation. But Garran pretty much spent the rest of the day lying down. Needless to say I think his giving blood days are over for a while. Oh well at least he did it this time. I am sure the young man with the eagle scout project appreciates Garrans effort. All though the following Sunday after giving blood, Garran told the kid (jokingly of course) that he was holding a grudge against him. Next time he better come up with a different service project.

PS. At the urging of my friend I have to add what Garran said to me when he got back into the car. He said "I know you are going to blog about this", I told him well yes I probably would. And secretly I was wishing how I had my camera. Am I a bad wife? Sometimes husbands can be so funny!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Poor guy, he tried to do the right thing and look where it got him! I'm sure he will be blessed for his effort though!

Christi said...

I am so disappointed that you didn't mention Garran's comment to you after he got back in the car. You GOTTA edit this post. That's the best part!!! :)
PS Did you get my email?

Rebecca said...

I am siding with Garran. Sorry, but I too don't give blood. You might think, wait-she has had three children she must be okay with things like that; but nope you thought wrong. I don't like needles, I don't like passing out, I don't give blood!

Krista said...

Anthony is the same way. Too funny...these men. By the way where do you get all your fun clip art to put into your blogs?

Stacy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh my gosh. Poor G-Dawg... I hate needles as well! I too know the feeling of letting it all out on the grass... not fun... not fun at all!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com