Monday, January 23, 2012

the seven year itch.

Yep, I have definitely got it.
THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH!
Now I am sure you must be thinking what, they seem so happy. Garran and I are just fine. I don't have the seven year itch when it comes to my marriage. I have the seven year itch when it comes to being in school. Garran has been in school our entire married life. And now.....NOW, we can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. 3 more semesters. This is it. He has this spring semester and then one more year....and we are DONE!!! I am sure some people might not understand why I am so ready to be done with school, but I am. I know the job market is in the tank. I know that my husband has choose a path that is not common, but for some reason, I am not worried about any of that. I have a feeling that it will all work out. I know that he is talented and that things will just fall into place. I have no idea when or how that will happen. I just have a feeling that it will. 
There is something about being a student, that no matter how long you live in a place, it always feels temporary. Like when people ask you why you moved to the area you answer is always, "oh, my husband is a student". Its never, oh we moved here to live, because he works here or there. I know that we will probably not find a job and stay there for all of Garrans career. I understand that we will probably move. I am just ready to be done with this part of our life. Both the schools that Garran has attended have treated him very well. As in, the professors have worked closely with him to help get his name out there and develop his talents. For that I am very grateful. I just hate the red tape side of going to school. Fees, Financial Aid, Books, Supplies, Ridiculously small paychecks for all the hard work he puts in to what he does. I am just ready to move on. To have a husband that goes to work and comes home. That does not have to be gone till 11-12 at night, sometimes later, because there are just not enough hours in the day to go to class, teach, and work on his own stuff in the studio. 
I am ready to be DONE!
And I honestly think he is too. 
I am so thankful that he has gone to school for something that he loves. It makes me really happy to think that he will get to wake up every morning and go to a job doing something that he really enjoys. I would hate for him to have to get up everyday and begrudgingly go to work to support our family. I know he would do that. That is just how he is. But I am glad that he wont have to. 
So this is our plan. 
This semester we are going to try and get him in as many shows as we can to build up his portfolio and his resume. Next semester he will be teaching a printmaking class and they asked him to re-apply to teach another undergraduate class, so he will focus on that next semester if he gets both of those. (they will be very time consuming) and his last semester he will focus on his MFA show. It will be in Chicago and I can hardly wait. I am so excited to see what he does. I am always blown away by his work. So that is it. When i put it that way, it seems like we will be done in no time. Life keeps moving and when it comes to be done with grad school, I am perfectly ok with that!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Almost there! I only have my bachelors, and I remember my last semester being PAINFUL! I couldn't wait to stop going to class, reading, papers - ugh. I can't wait to see where you end up living! May I offer a plug for Indianapolis? It is quite nice! ;)

Lisa said...

I know how we felt when Paul was in school so long, and it was only 5 years of our marriage. It's so nice to finally know where we'll be living and have a permanent home. I'm excited for you!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com