Wednesday, May 14, 2008

where do you draw the line~


So this is a topic that has been on my mind a lot lately. Gossiping.. how do you know when your just talking about a friend with another friend or when you are gossiping. So I looked up the definition-

gossip-idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others:

this definition is very confusing to me personally. I know there have been times in my life where I am glad that someone has called me and told me something personal about someone that I knew because I was able to be more sensitive and even helpful and had I not known maybe I would have had a different response to certain situations. I also think there are times and places where I guess "gossip" is good. I know there have been times in my life where things have happened and I was happy that it got passed through the telephone changes so that I did not have to relive the conversation over and over again. So what is the right thing to do. Never talk about anyone you know.. Is it ok as long as it is not mean spirited? Where and how do you draw the line. I can admit that sometimes I am as bad as the next person about wanting to know what is going on in someones life. However in my head I guess I don't always feel as if I am being nosey, just curious about that person and their life. You know sometimes if you don't know a person that well, you ask a friend " Do you know anything about them?" Is the conversation that follows considered gossip. Sometimes you just ask how someone is that you have not seen in a while and then you end up hearing all about them and what they have been up to... Isn't part of that just what being friends and having friends is all about. We ask about each other and are curious about what is going on in each others life. I am very interested to know what people think about this. I would say leave me a comment but when I ask that very few people do.. So if you would like you can if not just know that this is something that I have been thinking about ... mainly last night when I could not sleep. =)

4 comments:

Christi said...

I have wondered about this many times. When you find the answer, let me know. :) Maybe you don't get comments because we all have the same questions. We're all clueless together. haha.

Mom of 5 Gents said...

Personally, when I think of gossip, I think of exchanges that are negative and hurtful. However, I remember when my hubby was upset when people "gossiped" and told people we were expecting (his complaint based on the fact that he wanted to be the one to do the telling and see people's faces). I also know that I tend to be more "private" than other people, and could perhaps be upset about sharing of information that others would find "normal".

The fact that you are concerned about this topic tells me that your heart is in the right place. Did you know there is a lesson about gossip in the FHE manual? Might be a good resource to check out.

Rebecca said...

I too have always thought of true gossip as being in a mean spiritied kind of way. Or telling too much personal information ahout someone even if it isn't so mean just not appropriate. It can be confusing!

Stacy said...

Where do you draw the line AND "How do you draw the line?" (especially if you are with someone and you don't want to gossip OR hurt "the gossiper's" feelings by saying so)... ya know what I mean? I guess that is my question...

I would agree with the comments about it being mean spirited, hurtful or derogatory in any way.

I've been in weird positions, recently and I could tell that others were uncomfortable as well, I just didn't know what to say.

I think that sometimes the "natural man" wants to know things, but we need to work on shoving the "need to know" out of our heads. I have that problem at times... I'll admit. I do understand what you are talking about.

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com