Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wildcat Den State Park

This weekend we went camping with Garran's parents. 
It was seriously they perfect time to go. 
The weather was BEAUTIFUL! 
We could not have asked for anything better and we enjoyed the company as well. 
 This was the view from our tent.
 This is the kids checking out the campsite and enjoying being outside.
 Cullan brought his binoculars. 
After we got the tents up and everything organized we went for a walk/hike..
Here are Garran and Ayla before we left. 
(I love that smile of Garrans! Swoon!)
 Here we all are going down the trails. Of course the boys took off ahead, leading the pack. They kept calling it their adventure. It was so pretty. There were trees everywhere and they were all changing colors. LOVED IT! Have I mentioned fall is my favorite time of year. 
 Everyone checking out a bridge and the different things that were around. 
 Like I said, the boys kept running ahead. They were headed down to where the caves were. I mean caves and trails. A boys HEAVEN!!
 Of course I was crazy with my camera and had everyone pose for a picture. I try not to bug people to much when we do fun things, but I love having pictures to remember all the fun moments.  I don't think anyone minded. ;0)
 There was a small channel, I think that is what you would call it. There was not a lot of water, it was mostly mud. But it was fun to look at and check out.
 A little farther down the trail we found this cool bunch of tree roots. Garrans mom said something about how they would make a pretty picture. I agreed and everyone climbed up. I think they would have climbed up there regardless, but I got a picture anyways. 
 After we went for the walk, we came back to camp for dinner. I have decided if we ever have to live in tents, we are parking ours next to Garran's parents. His mom is a pretty tasty dutch oven cook. Much better than I. So we have already staked our claim if we ever end up in tents!! 
 Even though Garrans mom made some yummy dutch oven apple crisp, they still brought marshmallows for the kids to roast. I think my kids really enjoy the roasting part much more than the eating part. I was having fun playing with settings on my camera to try and get some fun pictures with the camp fire. 
 Breia was covered in marshmallow by the time we were done, She does enjoy the eating part of roasting marshmallows. She is so stinking cute.
 Here is most of our group sitting around the camp fire, just hanging out talking and enjoying the beautiful night. 
 I tried to get one shot with everyone but me, but it came out blurry. ;0(
The next day we went to a mill that was just at the base of where we went to camp. It was pretty cool to go in and look at all the fun stuff. I have to admit that in my old age, my fear of heights was giving me some trouble. The stairs were so steep and there was not much of a railing. Coming up from the basement my knees were so weak. I wish it did not bother me so much. So I did not go to the top of the mill. I enjoyed taking pictures outside. 
 Cullan and Kael waving to me from upstairs. 
 The kids learning about ground corn. 
 I don't know why, but I told Garran that this picture makes him look creepy. The only thing that helps is that Garran has a baby on his back. ;0)
 Look at that team work. Makes a Mama happy!!
 Garran doing some sifting. He sat there for a long time. I was surprised at how into it he got. 
 Kael and Briea found this in the basement. They were pretty interested in it until I said it reminded me of Hansel and Gretel. Then they were not so interested. I had to kind of laugh to myself. 
 You have to look closely, but you can see Garran, Ayla, Cullan, and Grandpa hanging out the Mill windows. I was up on the bridge at the time with Kael. 
I would recommend Wildcat Den State Park to anyone. It was really pretty and the trails were fun. It is right by the Mississippi on the Iowa side. 
We had fun spending some time out doors, trying to relax from life, and spending time with Garran's parents. I hope we get to do some more camping. The kids really love it!

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Looks like you guys had fun. We need to go camping. It's been so long. My cousin was just married at that park in June. :O)

Mandy said...

That looks so fun! We have been looking for an eight-man tent so we can take the kids camping, but we haven't had any luck finding one that is affordable. Andrew has a four-man tent, but I don't think we'll all fit. ;)

Christi said...

love it! love the pics. I have never heard of that place before. We should go camping together sometimes--although i am sure it is tough for you to get a weekend away-and even if you get one, you'd rather camp with gma and gpa g. I'D rather camp with gma and gpa g with that cooking! hahahaha ;)

Lisa said...

That mill looks like such a neat activity.

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com