Monday, August 2, 2010

answers!!

well after feeling like I might be going insane. we finally talked to our AMAZING pediatrician today. i don't just think she is amazing because she agreed with me, but because I felt like she actually took the time to listen to me and to really look at Briea. I was so relieved when we left her office. I just felt like we were on the right path and finally had a plan of attack. So final diagnosis for  the hives and crazy swelling.....SKEETER SYNDROME!
wondering what it is..so did i, here is the explanation.
More severe reactions -- rather than the typical itchy red bump experienced by most people as a result of a mosquito bite -- occur less commonly. These may result in blistering rashes, bruises, or large areas of swelling at the bite sites. People who experience extremely large areas of swelling after a mosquito bite (such as swelling of most of an arm or leg, for example) have been dubbed as having "Skeeter Syndrome."
In rare situations, some people may experience anaphylaxis after being bitten by mosquitoes. Other people may have experienced whole body urticaria and angioedema (hives and swelling), or worsening of asthma symptoms after being bitten. Typically, these symptoms occur within minutes after a mosquito bite, compared to Skeeter Syndrome, which may take hours to days to occur.

So now we know. We have to watch her carefully and re-evaluate if she might need an epi pen down the road. But for now we have a plan of attack. 
On a side note, can I just say that I am somewhat grateful that we are heading towards the end of summer. Having a child with a severe allergy to mosquito bites is not fun when it feels like you live in the capital of mosquito-ville!!

4 comments:

Jeanie Doll said...

Geez! This little lady can't catch a break. I hope she got medicine or whatever she needs to feel better. I guess you better invest in lots of bugs spray for next summer. I am trying to remember what we used for mosquitos as kids. It wasn't a bug spray....I'll try to remember.

Christi said...

WHAT?! Didn't even know that was possible. Good luck!!! HUGS!

Lisa said...

Yikes, you need to invest in a fogger and zapper. Poor girl.

Mom of 5 Gents said...

Hey-- I had that problem as a kid. (But, I had no idea it had an actual name. I always thought I was just strange.) In fact, when travelling, mosquitoes from a new area sometimes caused an even more intense reaction. When I was 16, I was staying with my great grandmother during the summer and had such a severe reaction that I was rushed to the hospital. It was then that I started to carry an epi pen...but eventually the problem disappeared. Good luck!!!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com