Saturday, October 13, 2012

Protein, Protein, Protein.

Well if you have never been on this journey here is something new for you to know. When you are preparing for bariatric surgery and after, a word that will be drilled into your brain is PROTEIN!! 
You must have it EVERYDAY, at every meal. You have to have it for your body to rebuild and also to loose the weight. 
Before surgery, I had no problem getting my protein in. I actually liked the protein shakes. I thought they tasted pretty good. 
However, and if you ever go through this, you will hear this as well....Surgery changes they way certain things taste. 
For me...it was the protein shakes. I just can't get them down. I have tried different brands, flavors, etc. No Luck. 
So I am trying hard to get my protein in other ways. I have tried a couple different protein bars. That is harder than you think because while they say they are good for you, a lot of them are packed with sugar. No good for someone who has just had bariatric surgery due to dumping syndrome.  So I try to find protein bars that are 5g of sugar or less but don't taste like something that has been behind your refrigerator for months. 
They say before surgery your goal should be 60-80 g of protein a day. After you should be able to work up to 80-120g per day. That may not sound like a lot but when your stomach is the size of an egg, it is a lot to get down. On top of drinking all the fluids and such. 
I am not complaining. I do not regret my decision to have this surgery. All I am saying is that it is a learning curve. It helps to have friends that have gone through it. They are a wonderful resource to have. They answer questions and can actually tell you what they have experienced and what works. I am not knocking my doctors, because they are great. However, there is something different when you talk to someone who has actually walked the walk. So if anyone out there in blog land is preparing or just had surgery and is having problem with your protein...don't feel bad. You are not alone. I don't think I am hitting my goals either. But I am doing the best I can...and that is working so far. 

No comments:

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com