Wednesday, April 4, 2012

being a mom.

*warning: this is coming from a sleep deprived mother of four, sick kids. *

ok. here is something i have been thinking about for a long time and i don't know why, but today is the day that i am going to say something. 
being a mom is HARD! 
there are rarely easy days. every day is different. every day poses new challenges. you never know how things are going to go when you wake up in the morning. each of your children are their own little people. just like us, they have emotions, feelings, and sometimes they wake up on the wrong side of the bed just like us!
they have a right to have those feelings. to have bad days and good.
so why is that if a mother complains, we are looked down upon. 
i am not talking about those women who complain constantly and do not ever seem grateful for their children/family. 
i am talking about all the good moms out there who work day in and day out to do the best that they can for their little ones.
i honestly do believe that being a mom is one of the toughest jobs on the face of the earth! you start to worry and care and do everything you possibly can for that little one from the time you hear that you are pregnant until the day that you die.
there is no coffee break in my day. there is no vacation days. if i am sick, i don't get to call in and take a sick day. i have to take care of my littles while running a fever, throwing up or whatever else i have been blessed with in the symptom category.
(ps. i am not knocking working women or working moms)
now here comes the part that really gets me.
i don't know if this has been everyones experience, but it has been mine. 
anytime i remotely say that i am having a bad day, or that my life can be hard sometimes, that it's not always sunshine and roses, i am met with this....
"well, your the one that had all those kids!".
 REALLY??
so because I love children and wanted a family... in my case, more than one or two...i am not allowed to have a bad day. I am not allowed to say, "man, today was rough!". 
I was actually told once when commenting on how tired i was "well, whose fault is that?". 
again...mind blowing.
from now on, maybe when "these" same people make make comments about their hard day at work, i will say, "well, you are the one that choose to work there!". Maybe when their boss has come down on them for not doing something right, i should say "well, whose fault is that?".
but we all know the truth. i would never do that. i would never say that to someone. 
i just get really tired of the double standard. 
being a mom is hard work. it is one of the most selfless jobs ever. i just don't think that women who try very hard day in and day out to be good moms should be made to feel bad when they just need to release and say, "wow, this is hard work". 
saying that does not make me regret my decision to have children. i love each and everyone of my little kiddos. i would not change a thing about my life. 
i guess in the end, it would be nice to just hear..."ya, that is hard work, hang in there."
ok. im done ranting... i do have little ones to go take care of! 


3 comments:

ayoungblut said...

My other big beef is "oh where do you work" when I say I am a stay at home mom, they always say something like I don't have the luxury of staying at home all day with my kids. Are you kidding me?
I don't have the weekend bar bill, our vacations include my kids and usually consist going to some family wedding in another state. I don't go to Cancun and run up yet another bar bill and get a great tan. My tan comes from mowing for 4 hours on the lawnmower. Okay, enough of my rant!

Mandy said...

I have heard similar comments before too. Ironically, one of my family members (probably my biggest offender of comments like this) also has told me she wishes she had decided to have more. *sigh* Sometimes you can't win. :)

Jessica D Erlandson said...

As a mom of 5, I think I have heard it all....you my friend have put it so well....I am just hoping that no one else has heard the words "you made your bed, now sleep in it". I love my kids...good days and bad....as I sit here reading your blog, doing dishes and laundry, and watching my two cutie little boys play the Wii! No paycheck could hold a candle to that!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com