Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Saying Goodbye

last week on Wednesday my dad called me and told me that over the weekend my grandmother had taken a turn for the worst on Sunday. He said that on Wednesday, the day he called that she had been accepted into hospice home care. That they were saying she had developed congestive heart failure and that goodbyes needed to be said. 
of course garran and i wanted to make the trip. so the next morning we loaded everyone up and headed to Iowa. 
Garran and I went over the same night that we arrived without the kids. 
we met my dad there and had a nice visit with my grandmother. we assumed it would be to much to bring the children. however, she wanted to see them and so we agreed to bring them back the next day. 
 i could not have been more proud of my kids then on this day. i had explained to them that grandma pat was very sick and that she would not be with us much longer. i told them that once we went in her house that they had to be quiet and no running. we explained how that would not help her. they did AMAZING! they sat quietly in her TV room and came in one by one to say hello and visit with her for a few minutes. it was a very happy moment in my life to see my grandmother light up as each of the children came in the room and talked with her. 
 Cullan came first. He told grandma all about going to school in the fall, his teachers name, and that he has a spider man back pack. He gave her a hug and went and got Kael. 
i think Kael was taken a little of guard when we saw her. I think he was expecting her to just be sitting in a chair or something. however he warmed right up. it usually does not take him long. before we knew it, he was talking her ear off. it was very sweet.
 Briea was a little stand offish as well. however even being very sick grandma pat knew some tricks. she asked her nurse to get briea a little lollipop. boy then the shyness was gone. briea took the lollipop from pat and told her thank you. from then on they were friends. 
 ayla was last. she loves to cuddle so this was no big thing for her. she just snuggled right up to grandma and they chatted for a while. well mostly grandma pat did the talking.
 of course garran and I both got to visit with her. my grandmother has always thought the world of Garran. she even told me so on this visit. Garran has a good relationship with Pat and enjoyed getting a chance to visit with her as well. 
 we took a family picture for the last time. i wanted to take as many as i could for myself but also for the kids. i know they will want to know about her and remember her.
this was her last good day. we went back again on Saturday and Sunday. i was so grateful that we took the kids on Friday. she was declining rather quickly. i was happy that we had made it in time to visit with her while she still recognized us and have her know that we had come. 
she is still hanging on, but we are expecting a call tonight saying she has passed on. i will miss her. she was a fun lady with lots of spunk. however the thought of her reuniting with my grandfather and other family members makes the loss a little easier. 

3 comments:

Christi said...

Love you Meghan--and sorry you're dealing with this right now. You are a trooper. So glad that the kiddos did well and were able to visit with her. And also glad you and Garran got to spend time with her--and glad she adores Garran ;). Sending lots of hugs your way...

Kiersten said...

Oh Meg.... I am sorry to hear that Grandma Pat is so sick. I remember meeting her a few times and she was always so kind. :) I will be thinking about you and your dad these next few days. Love you!

Stacy said...

So glad you got to go down there and see her with the kids. I'm sorry you've had to go through this. Thinking of you!

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com