Wednesday, September 29, 2010

karate

tonight it was my turn to take the boys to their karate class. garran and I switch off so that we can each get some time with the boys and so we can each watch their progress. i decided to take my little camera so that I could get some video of the boys doing there karate. they really enjoy it. they are the youngest in the class, or i guess i should say in the youngest age group. the class spans from age 4-7. i am hoping they will want to do it again in the future. there are things i really like about them taking this class. 
for one, the man that teaches is a police officer, so he asks that the children say "yes sir" when they respond to him. i like that. growing up in the south, i have not problem with my children saying yes sir and yes ma'am. it does not go over so well in the Midwest, so we don't really push it, but i still like it. 
the other thing that i really like is that he teaches the kids things that have to do with karate but that would also help them if a stranger ever tried to take them. the second video is a good example. they are teaching the kids to put their hands in the "crane" position and to hit the dummy in the eyes and yell "NO NO NO" and then run to the back of the line or to run away! the other thing they did tonight was held the kids wrist and showed them how to hit the persons hand in away that would really hurt and to yell "get away from me!". my boys were told they did not hit hard enough, but i think they were a little confused. we have taught them to not hit, especially an adult. so when their instructor said hit me (or his hands) the boys kept looking over at me like ..... "uh, what do i do ?" finally cullan gave into temptation and really whacked the guys hand. i gave him a thumbs up so that he would know that he was not in trouble. i think he felt better after that ;0)

No comments:

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com