Wednesday, March 7, 2012

anniversary...of sorts.

I am always surprised at how much this day sticks with me and how I always seem to remember it. 
To read the full story, you can click this LINK, and it will take you to the post.
I think that some people might not understand just how serious this night was or how tragic it could have turned out. 
However, I can tell you, that when those firefighters carbon monoxide detectors started going off before they even got to our apartment, it was so scary. 
Our furnace was the problem and given 30 more minutes, we would all have been gone. 
The levels were already deadly when the fire department arrived. 
Luckily we had the sense to turn of the heater when our detector was going off. 
I remember walking in the boys room and seeing them snuggled on the top bunk together, and right above their head was a vent, pumping out carbon monoxide. I could tell by the way that Garran quickly grabbed them off the bed and rushed them out to sit in the van that we both had the same thought. And it was terrifying and heart breaking all at the same time. 
Briea had just turned a year old a few days before and I had just found out I was pregnant with Ayla. It could have wiped out our whole family. Had my good friend Christi not really pushed for me to get a carbon monoxide detector for our apartment. That was the best $20.00 I have ever spent. 
Carbon Monoxide is silent and deadly. It has no taste, no smell and you can not see it. That is what makes it so dangerous.  If you do not have one, PLEASE GET ONE. 
It would be devastating to lose someone you love or your whole family when it could have been prevented with such a simple tool. 
It makes me sick to think of how differently that night could have turned out and I count my blessings all the time that our family was spared. 

3 comments:

Krista said...

ii remember this day aswell! that was so scary! thank you for the post! we all need these kind of reminders to do the simple things so the big bad things don't happen!

Christi said...

Just thinking about that night/the next morning makes my stomach turn and makes me so thankful at the same time. SO thankful that you were/are safe. LOVE YOU ALL!

ALTA said...

I've told a bunch of different people about that since it happened. I love that you remind us every year too! When we moved to NC we didn't have them in our house and one night I kept thinking about it and ended up going to homedepot at 8:30 at night to get a couple. :)

our story

My photo
Midwest, United States
I love the saying "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". My husband does an amazing job of that. I am truly married to my best friend. We laugh often and try to see the best in every situation, or at least find the humor in it. We have four beautiful children. Cullan (7) Kael (6) Briea (3) and Ayla (2). We are currently living in Illinois while Garran attends Grad School. He is a talented print maker and is enjoying his time here. He has a website if you are interested. www.garrangillespie.com Right now we are living every day to the fullest and trying to have as much fun as possible along the way!!

This explains why I blog so much RIGHT?

“Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life. …
“What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?”
Elder Spencer W Kimball!

I need to read this every morning!

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

these are my people! =)

where ya from...huh.huh..huh?

show me the love

search engine marketing company
provided by Inteliture.com